Law Office of Paul Petrillo
Contact Us Today 603-635-4149
Menu Contact

Stop wage garnishment with Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Wage garnishment is an unfortunate situation for quite a few people. This process happens when a court order is submitted to your employer instructing them to remove money from your paychecks. This is done in various situations, including spousal support, child support and repaying of debts to creditors. You can stop wage garnishment immediately by filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in New Hampshire.

Before you can file for bankruptcy, you are required to complete credit counseling. If you do not complete this program or don't have proof of it, you will not be able to file for bankruptcy. Do this first and then complete your bankruptcy filing. Once you complete the petition, file it and obtain a case number.

Now you can obtain the earnings withholding order (EWO) from your employer. The human resources or payroll department at your company should have this information. The name of the creditor that requested your wages be garnished will be on the EWO. Use this information to contact the creditor and inform them that you filed for bankruptcy. Proof of the bankruptcy filing must be sent to the creditor so they know the filing is legitimate.

After you notify the creditor that you have filed for bankruptcy, notify the payroll department where you work. They will need to be on the lookout for any further notices about wage garnishment, which should stop immediately.

Any money that has been taken from your paychecks following the bankruptcy filing is protected money. This means that it will not be distributed to your creditors and instead returned to you.

Some people file to reclaim money garnished from their checks. It is possible that some money might be recovered, but for the most part, money taken prior to a bankruptcy filing cannot be recovered by the debtor.

Our experienced attorneys can answer all of your Chapter 7 bankruptcy questions, including how you can stop wage garnishment in Nashua, New Hampshire.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Start Your Case Today

Whether you have a family law issue, an estate planning question or are considering bankruptcy, I can help you find a sustainable solution that provides relief and hope. Schedule your consultation at my Nashua, New Hampshire office today by calling 603-635-4149 or by sending us an email.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
Law Office of Paul Petrillo