Law Office of Paul Petrillo
Contact Us Today 603-635-4149
Menu Contact

How to acquire back child support in New Hampshire

Changes in life such as a divorce can turn you into a single parent within the blink of an eye. In most divorce cases, an agreement is reached between the two parties about who will pay child support, for how long and for a set amount. When the payments are not made, or stop being made, the intended recipient can use different methods to acquire back payments.

If the amount of money owed to you is in the thousands of dollars, you can request the court that issued the child support order to place a lien on the other parent's property.

If a lien on the debtor's property does not work, you can look into wage garnishment. The employer of the debtor will notify the employee that wage garnishment will begin on a set date. This gives the employee enough time to either issue the overdue payments or risk having his paycheck reduced automatically by the employer. The money is then sent to the recipient of the child support.

Many times these first two methods are unsuccessful in acquiring the amount of money owed in back child support. If this is the case in your situation, you can petition the court to have the other parent's licenses suspended. The licenses that can be suspended include professional, driver's, hunting and fishing.

The government is also known to report the debtor, and the amount of back child support, to the credit bureaus so the debt is placed on the subject's credit report, hurting his or her credit score.

Dealing with child support payment issues in New Hampshire can be confusing, difficult and stressful. An experienced family law attorney can help you acquire back child support payments so you can properly care for your children.

Source: FindLaw, "Enforcement and Collection of Back Child Support," accessed Aug. 11, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Start Your Case Today

Whether you have a family law issue, an estate planning question or are considering bankruptcy, I can help you find a sustainable solution that provides relief and hope. Schedule your consultation at my Nashua, New Hampshire office today by calling 603-635-4149 or by sending us an email.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
Law Office of Paul Petrillo