Law Office of Paul Petrillo
Contact Us Today 603-635-4149
Menu Contact

Failing to pay child support per a divorce order has consequences

It is the responsibility of both of a child's parents to financially support their child, even if they are no longer married. The custodial parent meets this obligation by having the child primarily in their care, and the noncustodial parent meets this obligation by paying child support per a court order.

However, a variety of circumstances may arise in which the paying parent fails to meet their child support obligations. When a parent does not pay child support per the court order issued when they divorced, the New Hampshire Bureau of Child Support Services can take certain measures to ensure the custodial parent receives what they are owed.

One option may be to revoke the driver's license or professional license of the paying parent. Credit bureaus may also be notified of the paying parent's arrearages. The paying parent's tax refund may be intercepted, or they may be denied a passport. Liens can be placed against the paying parent's financial accounts and real estate holdings. Lottery prizes may be intercepted in the amount of the arrearage. Finally, there may be a hearing in which Child Support Services will provide a judge with the case history at issue, and the judge will determine what additional measures need to be taken, such as an immediate payment of what is owed or even the incarceration of the delinquent parent.

These measures are understandably unappealing to a parent who pays child support. If a paying parent's life circumstances have changed and they are no longer able to meet their child support obligations, simply failing to pay child support is not the answer. Instead, that parent may want to seek a modification of the child support order from the court.

Keep in mind that even though a parent may seek to lower the amount of child support owed, until a judge signs off on such an order, that parent still must pay the amount of child support in the current order. So, parents who cannot meet their child support obligations will want to seek a modification as soon as possible, and they should do all they can to meet their current obligations until changes are made.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Start Your Case Today

Whether you have a family law issue, an estate planning question or are considering bankruptcy, I can help you find a sustainable solution that provides relief and hope. Schedule your consultation at my Nashua, New Hampshire office today by calling 603-635-4149 or by sending us an email.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
Law Office of Paul Petrillo